|I have realized that many old clients of Bow & Arrow didn’t know that I am still operating in the SAME LOCATION at 215 Hanover St. Suite 201-202 in the North End of Boston or that I am operating as a stylist and salon owner at all. I have been excited to see returning faces back in the studio lately and wanted to make sure everyone else can find us too.|
Everyone who is looking for Bow & Arrow Collective and Kellyn Jones (formerly Kellyn Anderson), we are still here. My new salon’s name is Kellyn Jones Hair Studio, known as KJ Hair Studio. I am proud of my salon, my team, and our salon atmosphere and vibe. For anyone that is still looking for us or didn’t catch the last few announcements, I hope you find us now!
Cheers and happy hair!
Kellyn & The KJ Team
Salon update dated 12/1/2018
I want to personally thank each and everyone of you for the support of Bow & Arrow over the last 4 and a half years. Bow & Arrow was a special place for all of us and we truly enjoyed every second of it. Although this chapter has closed, new adventures are on the horizon for everyone.
I wanted to give an update that I will still be in the same location – 215 Hanover St. Suite 201-202. I will temporarily be operating under Kellyn Jones Hair Studio and in the new year.
You can book online through vagaro – www.vagaro.com/kjhairstudio and you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call us at 617-918-7202.
My vision is still the same and I’m excited to grow with passionate, excited hairstylists in a positive environment. Bow & Arrow as a name will change, but the positive vibe won’t. My salon will always be a place to connect, grow, and evolve. I can’t wait to share more with you soon!
215 Hanover St, Boston, MA 02113, USA
If you know me, you know I love crystals! We have crystals all over the salon to help aid with the good energy of our space. Some things that our guests say as soon as they enter is, “It feels so welcoming in here!” Or “It is so peaceful and calm”. I honestly contribute this to all of our crystals in the salon and our weekly ritual of burning sage and sweetgrass. We also diffuse our essential oils every single day. It has helped create the good energy environment that we are known for.
One of our favorite crystals in the salon is the Amethyst. An Amethyst crystal is a natural stress reliever that encourages inner strength and peace. Amethyst crystals are said to bring wealth and invoke a strong business sense to its owner, making them wondering healing crystals to have in your office or business. They are healing stones of spiritual growth and protection. These stones are great for your meditation practice since they help to clear the mind.
Amethyst healing crystals repel all negative energy while attracting positive energy, making them one of the best protection crystals to have in your home. Among crystals, the amethyst variety has perhaps the strongest powers to rid your home or space of any negative influence. And, who doesn’t want that??
We have filled our space with heart-warming stones like Amethyst and Rose Quartz to support loving communication, the pathway to light and universal love. Known as major power conductors and energy amplifiers, Quartz and Selenite are an excellent addition to our collection of heart chakra stones because they act as guardian angels by protecting the space from bad vibes. These powerful stones also give other crystals a natural boost of healing energy. We love good energy and love when people walk in and instantly feel the harmonious and balanced energy of our salon. Welcome to our healing sanctuary!
At our salon we like to do a thorough consultation. This consultation process is included in your haircut and/or haircolor appointment.
We not only ask questions about your current wardrobe and style but we also suggest what we think will make you feel your best when it comes to harmonizing your current wardrobe tones, skin tone, eye color, along with your face shape. We try to figure out what season you are, what season your wardrobe is in, and what season will be best for your hair color. All of the questions help guide us to make suggestions on haircuts, haircolor tones, haircolor depth and lightness, as well as hair color placement.
We truly believe in customizing all hair color and cuts so that they work with you and will enhance your features.
Ready to book your appointment? We can’t wait to meet you!
Book your consultation here
How Essential Oils Replaced My Medicine Cabinet
Are you ready for a medicine cabinet makeover? Once I tried essential oils, I quickly found myself replacing my over-the-counter medications with therapeutic-grade oils. Essential oils are amazing for helping to alleviate all sorts of ailments – from bug bites and skin issues to sore throats and stuffy noses – and can be diffused, applied topically or even ingested!
Here are just a few ways essential oils can help ease some common summer ailments and not only save you a trip to the drug store, but also give you peace of mind knowing you’re healing yourself in a more natural way:
- Mosquito bites – What’s summer in New England without mosquitos and those pesky greenheads at the beach? Just dab some of Young Living’s Purification blend (dilute with carrier oil for sensitive skin) on your bites for instant relief. The company’s Thieves oil can also be used
- Allergies – When every surface outside is covered with a yellow dusting, try diffusing a blend of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint oils
- Stomach aches – Overindulge at your family BBQ? Just add a few drops of Peppermint oil to your water to ease the pain; or try Young Living’s Digize to ease bloating, gas and heartburn
- Breakouts – Let’s face it, all that sun can certainly cause our skin to go crazy in the summer. Skip the harsh over-the-counter remedies – this is nothing that a little Tea Tree oil can’t help with
- Cuts and scrapes – With all the time spent outdoors, summer often means cuts and scrapes galore! Lavender oil has very powerful antiseptic properties – applying it to cuts (dilute with carrier oil for sensitive skin) will help the wound heal faster and decrease the appearance of scars
I have been totally amazed at how versatile these oils are and how well they work. They have helped me discover more natural and healthier healing alternatives, and I’m happy to report that they have completely replaced our medicine cabinet at home. I also use them every day in my diffusers at home and in the salon to help keep me energized, relive allergy symptoms, keep the air clean and help with a sense of grounding. Just like crystals, there are so many ways to use these oils – the list is endless!
What to Look for in an Essential Oil Brand
The key is to select brand that is delivering the highest-quality essential oils. But this can be tricky when many brands are using the same language. Do your research! You do not want to be ingesting anything but the absolute best. Some things to look for include:
- 100% pure therapeutic grade should be labeled on the bottle. *This is different than therapeutic grade, pure grade, or even certified organic essential oils. Once you know your essential oils are 100% pure therapeutic grade, look for the following
- Environmental Factors:
- Seed – it starts with the seed. Powerful essential oils come from seeds and plants with the highest possible levels of bioactive compounds
- Cultivate – essential oil farms should be sustainable in the growing and harvesting methods around the globe.
- Physical Factors:
- Distill – The distillery process is important to preserve the precious constituents. Cold pressing and resin tapping methods should be used along with steam extraction of the essential oils
- Test – How does the company test the quality? For consistent quality, tests should be done to insure the oils are not diluted, cut, or adulterated.
- Seal – Careful packaging, bottling, and labeling should be done with quality control
Unfortunately in the United States there are not standards for testing therapeutic grade essential oil. The FDA has very loose standards on even labeling oils, so it’s up to you to know your products! So it takes far less material to make synthetic or perfume grade oil, so it is more prevalent. Producing pure oils is time consuming and costly. The therapeutic grade essential oil is extremely concentrated and although the cost of the oil is more, we need far less and we can expect better results. It is in art and a science and something that should be done by companies that are dedicated to the process and their consumers.
While there are several quality brands on the market, I personally love Young Living for its Seed to Seal promise. It is important for me to know where ingredients come from before I put them on my body and in my body. Make sure to do your research before using any essential oils. Just like all products, ingredients are not created equal from one company to another. Don’t trust the label, do your homework.
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oils, please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com and I’ll be happy to guide you. Oils have had such a great impact on my overall health and wellness, I am so excited to share what I have learned with you.
Wishing you the best in wellness and abundance,
When it comes to balayage looks, everyone loves them! However, not every natural hair color can achieve the desired look they are seeking with the balayage technique. Balayage is a technique that can be used a few different ways.
Why balayage? Natural and low maintenance!
Balayage is the best technique to create a natural lived-in color. Key words you will hear us use when it comes to balayage:
Open air balayage:
- It is a natural look
- Gives an overall sun-kissed look
- Keeps depth in the hair
- Seamless grow out
- It can get lighter over time
- Can be used for lightness and depth
- Highlights are painted on the hair in singles, v’s, or w’s (this is
- Painted signature pieces are considered a lowlight
- Brighter around the face and ends
- Usually is a warm tone
- Can get a little more lift than open air
- Uses a heat source like a foil or saran wrap to encapsulate the heat
- Can create a lighter look than open air
- Can create a cooler tone than open air
- Full surface hair painting to create an overall lighter look
- Can be used with open air or with a heat source like saran wrap
- Keeps some depth, but not as much as a traditional balayage placement
- Low maintenance like balayage, but used when converting a traditional foil
- A true overall “sun-kissed” look
- Usually creates a warm tone all over
- Technique used when depth is needed
- Adds dimension back to overly blonde hair
- Sometimes needed when transitioning from a foil to balayage
What to expect:
- Touch-ups as little or as much as wanted – sometimes even once a year!
- Blends grey
- No harsh lines
- May want a gloss to keep the color fresh every 8 weeks
- Can keep going lighter with each visit
- Usually takes many appointments to achieve maximum lightness or cool tone
- Beautiful, sun-kissed hair
Do you think balayage is right for you? Book an in person consultation at www.vagaro.com/kellynanderson or email us!
Can’t wait to see you soon,
Kellyn & Team
We book all new guests as custom in the salon because there are so many variables. Here are some names we use during your consultation that might be helpful to understand. What do you need to book? Book anything dimensional (foil, balayage, lowlights, etc.) as a custom color. If you need help booking an appointment or don’t know what to book, just reach out to us! We’re always happy to help.
Color is a single process service that covers your new growth or base with permanent or semi-permanent hair color and covers your ends with permanent or semi-permanent hair color.
- Mask with Vibrachrom by Davines is used in this service and is formulated with quinoa protein extract, conditioning agents with omega-9, and a phosphilipd carrier. This creates brilliant long-lasting color with outstanding color durability. The color has a high conditioning effect, deposits extra shine, while also preserving the integrity of the hair. This color is formulated without PPD and parabens.
- A gel formula, without ammonia, used to create a translucent tone after balayage or highlights. Intensifies the natural hair colour and emphasizes cosmetic hair color. Tones highlights and can be used to camouflage white hair and obtains intense creative reflects on bleached hair.
Foiling is the most traditional way of highlighting the hair – where selected strands of hair are placed on foil and the color is painted on.
Toner is used to change or shift the tone of your color after your hair color service.
Double Process is typically used when lightening hair by more than two shades. First the hair is bleached to remove natural or colored hair pigments, and then pigment is added into the hair to create the desired shade. This process is considered a color correction unless it was previously done by one of our stylists.
Toning vs. Double Process – Toning is usually done after highlights or if hair color has faded. Here’s the big difference between toning a blonde and double process: With a double process color we are significantly changing the post-lightened tone of the hair by depositing color. When toning, we are only depositing a small amount of tone or color, to shift the overall result toward perfection.
Balayage is freehand painting on strands of hair. It creates a beautiful natural-looking effect. It is great for clients who want a low-maintance natural look with contrast in the hair. Balayage is usually done open air to create a soft look. Sometimes there can be balayage film or saran wrap that is used to incapsulate heat as well as foils or embee meche strips. They are tools we use case by case to achieve desired goal.
Foilayage is a freehand painting technique that is used with foils to help achieve lightness desired.
Creative Color is when the overall hair color goal needs a little more than the traditional hair color process. This could be multiple techniques used, multiple hair color used, or using some of the listed fashion terms including flamboyage, balayage, ombre, sombre, or lived-in looks.
Corrective Color can mean undoing an at-home color mistake or correcting something to achieve the overall hair color goal. This is usually needed if your hair color is “in progress” to a goal. Once your goal is achieved, then you can maintain this hair color by booking foil, balayage, or single process appointments. Please know that we do our best to maintain integrity of the hair and will not over process the hair. Healthy hair is our priority!
All custom color services (balayage or foil) include a gloss, toner, treatment, or bond builder if needed. Whatever your hair needs are, we include it all in that appointment.
Founded in Parma, Italy in 1983 by the Bollati Family, Davines Group started as a research laboratory, producing high-end hair care products for renowned cosmetic companies worldwide. After a decade of honing our expertise, we began creating our own brand of Davines hair care products exclusively for salons, and in 1996 founded [ comfort zone ] skin care for premier spas.
“BY CREATING BEAUTY SUSTAINABLY, WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES, OF THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THEY LIVE & WORK, OF THE THINGS THEY LOVE.”
HAIRSTORY IS DEDICATED TO HELPING PEOPLE RETHINK EVERYTHING ABOUT HAIR IN A WORLD WHERE THE OLD RULES DON’T APPLY.
Everyone has a hair story. For some hair is a shield; for others it’s a beacon. Our relationship to our hair evolves as we do, but beauty companies ask us to focus on what goes wrong rather than right, adding fuel to our self-loathing. What if we could learn to love what we’ve been taught to hate? Hairstory products help liberate us from negative norms that limit the expression of innate beauty.
The ORIGINAL chemistry that multiplies bonds and cross-links broken bonds.
Bio Ionic ® develops luxury hair tools for professionals worldwide.
With its unique IntelliFlex™ bristles, the Wet Brush runs effortlessly through hair, detangling without pulling or tugging.
A scientific innovation that reverses and prevents damage to your hair
Color more frequently. Go Blonder. Push the envelope further without compromising the integrity of hair. From the photo shoot to the salon chair, colorists are set free from the fear of damaged hair.
Olaplex is a great treatment or add-on to your color service that will make your hair stronger, healthier, and your color will last longer. It reconnects broken disulfide bonds in the hair. Bonds break when exposed to chemicals in color, from heat, and mechanical force such as combing wet hair.
Olaplex Hair Perfector, a take home treatment intended for once-a-week use, is available for an additional cost to your service.
Davines Hair Treatments
Natural Tech offers different prescriptions for stressed, fine, thin, oily, and dry hair and scalp. Going in to address the issues of the scalp, Natural Tech preps and heals your scalp issues, keeping hair and scalp in great condition for growing the best version of your natural hair. Made with the natural healing properties of Dandelion, Black Cohosh, Lemon, Blueberry, Artichoke, Grapes, and Echinacea just to name a few.
If you are a hair client here, you know that I love New Wash more than any other product out there right now. You also know that the entire line from Hairstory has completely changed not only my own hair, but I’d say at least 80% of my client’s hair. Every single person that made the switch is seeing the benefits and are raving about this product.
This whole line has blown me away since the first time I have used it in my own hair. But more importantly, it is changing all of clients hair and scalp for the better. This innovative line created by Bumble & Bumble founder, Michael Gordon, is a new approach to your at-home haircare. LESS IS MORE.
It’s simple. If you don’t use detergent (shampoo), your hair will be better, happier, shinier, healthier, and effortless. In fact, I don’t really need products anymore. I mean, my whole life I have been product obsessed, so this is a whole new concept for me too. My hair is actually behaving without the need of any products. Seriously. Air-drying has never been better.
New wash is made with essential oils. If you know me, you know I love essential oils and natural products. So, think of this as your natural alternative to shampoo and conditioner. Just say no to suds. Not only does detergent strip our hair from everything good, but it does quite a number on our scalps. Remember, if your scalp is not healthy, your hair will not be healthy either. It’s time to embrace your hair texture and let your hair be. What are you waiting for? Healthy hair rocks.
If you are a hairdresser, click here to sign up for a complimentary bottle on me!
If you are a client, or client to be, Just enter my name as the person you referred you to receive 20% off your first order online! Click here to purchase
Maintaining your balayage and hair color
The advanced techniques we use for hair color, foiling, and balayage help to make your visits low maintenance. Here are our suggestions for rebooking your appointments.
- Foil or foilayage touch up 8-10 weeks
- Blonde Balayage touch up 3-4 months
- Brunette Balayage touch up 4-6 months
- Base color retouch or gray coverage 4-6 weeks
- Custom Gloss or Toner half way in between foil or balayage maintenance
- Short haircuts 4-6 weeks
- Medium length 6-8 weeks
- Long length 8-12 weeks
- Growing hair out 12 weeks
If you have any questions on rebooking or booking your first visit with us email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!
Kellyn & Team