I want to personally thank each and everyone of you for the support of Bow & Arrow over the last 4 and a half years. Bow & Arrow was a special place for all of us and we truly enjoyed every second of it. Although this chapter has closed, new adventures are on the horizon for everyone!
I wanted to give an update that I will still be in the same location – 215 Hanover St. Suite 201-202. I will temporarily be operating under Kellyn Loves Hair Studio and in the new year there will be a new announcement of my new salon name, brand, and team.
Currently my hours for appointments are Tuesday-Friday 11-7 and Saturday 10-4, in January that will slightly change to Tue/Wed 11-7 and Fri/Sat 10-4. I am working with my associate Rachel who is helping as a stylist assistant as well as my booking/email assistant. You can book online through vagaro – www.vagaro.com/kellynanderson and you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call us at 617-918-7202.
There are opportunities for hair models with Rachel and our growing team, so look for those announcements on social media and our website at www.kellynloveshair.com, and let us know if you’d like to volunteer for blow-dry styling, haircuts, or hair color.
My vision is still the same and I’m excited to grow with passionate, excited hairstylists in a positive environment. Bow & Arrow as a name will change, but the positive vibe won’t. My salon will always be a place to connect, grow, and evolve. I can’t wait to share more with you soon!
Currently booking Blow-dry and style models for the week of December 3rd.
- 12/4 @ 11am
- 12/5 @ 10:30am
- 12/6 @ 10am
- 12/7 @ 11am
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit us at http://www.vagaro.com/kellynanderson and click on staff – Rachel – Select service – Model Blow-dry and style – fill out the form, and someone will be in touch to confirm the appointment request. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com
Kellyn & Rachel
We are currently looking for hair models for education classes!
Models needed for:
- Bob haircut
- Long layer haircut
- A-line bob haircut
- Foil blonde
- Brunette balayage
- Blonde balayage
- Single process color
Things volunteer hair models need to know:
- Must be flexible on the outcome
- Must have no time restraints
- Must be flexible during the daytime hours
- Haircut models are not charged a fee
- Hair color models are charged a small fee for product cost
- Models should not have a goal in mind or inspiration picture – please remember this is for learning purposes and is not an actual hair appointment
- Models must have healthy hair
- Models will be asked to wear certain colors for pictures
- Models will have their pictures taken during the whole process and after
If you are interested in being a hair model for one of our upcoming classes, please send pictures of your current hair front, side, and back and a brief history of hair color to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
When it comes to balayage looks, everyone loves them! However, not every natural hair color can achieve the desired look they are seeking with the balayage technique. Balayage is a technique that can be used a few different ways.
Why balayage? Natural and low maintenance!
Balayage is the best technique to create a natural lived-in color. Key words you will hear us use when it comes to balayage:
Open air balayage:
- It is a natural look
- Gives an overall sun-kissed look
- Keeps depth in the hair
- Seamless grow out
- It can get lighter over time
- Can be used for lightness and depth
- Highlights are painted on the hair in singles, slants, v’s, or w’s
- Painted signature pieces are considered a lowlight or reverse balayage
- Brighter and lighter around the face and ends
- Creates a natural warm tone
Open air balayage technique
- Can get a little more lift than open air
- Uses a heat source like a foil or saran wrap to encapsulate the heat
- Can create a lighter look than open air
- Can create a cooler tone than open air
- Full surface hair painting to create an overall lighter look
- Can be used with open air or with a heat source like saran wrap
- Keeps some depth, but not as much as a traditional balayage placement
- Low maintenance like balayage, but used when converting a traditional foil
- A true overall “sun-kissed” look
- Usually creates a warm tone all over
- Technique used when depth is needed
- Adds dimension back to overly blonde hair
- Sometimes needed when transitioning from a foil to balayage
What to expect:
- Touch-ups as little or as much as wanted – sometimes even once a year!
- Blends grey
- No harsh lines
- May want a gloss to keep the color fresh every 8 weeks
- Can keep going lighter with each visit
- Usually takes many appointments to achieve maximum lightness or cool tone
- Beautiful, sun-kissed hair’
All of these pictures are done by me and you can find more of my work on my instagram: @kellyn.bowandarrow
I am a big believer in finding time for yourself and what matters most. This time will look different for every person, so it’s hard to say what self-care looks like for you. I have been on this journey of mindfulness since becoming a business owner. I realized that I have people that I inspire and who I am inspired by every day, and I want to be the best version of myself I can be – not just for me, but for the women that are in my life, the clients that walk in our doors, and the team that looks up to me. This has been a lifelong journey of self-awareness and requires a dedication to mindfulness that I am happy to have discovered.
This journey began by consciously “showing up” for work every day. That means leaving the energy that I knew wasn’t going to serve me at the door and instead creating a space that welcomes open, honest and authentic conversations. These conversations opened my eyes to new experiences and changes I could make in my day-to-day life, one of which was eating mindfully. As a kid, I was sick all the time – visits to the doctors and medication were the norm for me. But once I started feeding my body healthy, whole, organic foods and cutting out processed foods, I became a different person. I witnessed my anxiety melt away, skin clear up, stomach aches stop and digestion return to “normal.” I began sleeping through the nights and woke with a clear mind. I knew then that food was playing and had played a huge role in my sickness to this point.
Another life-changing self-care practice was removing all toxins from my house and as much as we could from our salon, replacing them with essential oils, natural cleaners and removing harsh hair treatments from our services menu that were known to cause harmful side effects.
Seeing how these small changes could have a major impact has brought me to the latest chapter in life – becoming a leader, growing my team and salon, and showing up for them every day. My life turned a corner when I met my amazing business coach, Nina, who encourages gratitude, saying “yes” to days off, putting self-care first, and focusing on doing the hard work from the inside. We all have work to do on ourselves and we have to make sure we put the time in. Last year was the year that I worked on myself, read books that helped open my mind, and made gratitude a daily practice. I am forever grateful for her.
This year, as I continue my mindfulness journey, I’m committed to putting gratitude, self-care days, conscious eating, mindful conversations and ‘balance’ first. I know myself, my purpose and my rhythm. This doesn’t mean I don’t fall off or get caught up in the grind. This just means I am aware what I need to do and, if and when I lose sight of that, I have the support I need to bring me back.
So, cheers to another year of fulfilling your purpose, working toward your dreams, learning more about yourself and being committed to happiness.
Are you ready for a medicine cabinet makeover? You will throw out your over the counter meds once you try these oils by Young Living. They’re 100% natural, good for you, and 100% pure. The essential oils are amazing to help alleviate all sorts of things from allergies, poor sleeping, skin issues, headaches, bug bites, sore throats, coughs, colds, flu, stuffy noses, energy and the list goes on and on.
The essential oils from Young Living are all therapeutic grade oils you can diffuse, apply topically, and ingest. Basically things that you’d typically run to the medicine cabinet for.
Our family or our friends have had success with these oils:
- Purification: on mosquito bites, freshen the air, healthy and clear skin, wellness
- Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint: allergies
- Pan away: headaches, growing pains and muscle aches, energizing
- Frankincense: acne and warts, anti-aging, cellular health, grounding, mood balancing, musculoskeletal support
- Valor: snoring, anxiety, stress relief, empowers self-confidence, supports focus, reduces back soreness
- Lavender: diaper rash, scrapes and cuts, restful sleep, reduces mental stress
- Thieves: teething and oral health, fighting illness, sore throat, bug bites
- Peppermint: tummy aches, headaches, fevers
- Cedarwood: restful sleep, calming and grounding, promote hair growth
- Copaiba: anti-inflammatory, supports overall wellness
- Digize: eases bloating and gas, heartburn
- Lemongrass: anti-inflammatory, promotes circulation
- Orange: overall wellness, increase happiness
- RC: opens respiratory channels
- Lemon: enhances mental clarity, supports digestive system
- Tea Tree: blemishes, open up respiratory channels, skin irritations
- Peppermint: stomach discomfort, digestion, headaches
- Oregano: overall wellness, anti-inflammatory, removes skin tags and warts
- Stress Away: balance everyday emotions, mood boosting, muscle aches
I have been totally amazed at how versatile these oils are. And they work. I really wanted to try to find more natural and healthier alternatives for me and my family and I am so happy to say that these oils have truly replaced our medicine cabinet at home. I also use them every single day in my diffuser at home and the salon. The diffuser blends can help energize, relive allergies, keep the air clean, or help with a sense of grounding. There are so many things I use these oils for!
Is there anything specific you want from EO’s? Anything that you might benefit from or your family might use? Sore muscles, sound sleep, allergies, eczema, cold/flu, acne, headaches, weight loss, etc? I can probably direct you in the right direction. If you’re just wanting to get your feet wet, the best way is the Premium Starter Kit (That’s where I would HIGHLY recommend you start). This is how I started with the oils. It is easy to get started when you have 11 oils that work for such a wide range of ailments. Without the options, I don’t think I would have had discovered my love of the oils without the starter kit.
If you want to learn more or have questions, feel free to reach out to me or sign-up here to get started with your own starter kit!
In health and wellness,
Here is what to expect when you book with one of our color specialists at our salon Bow & Arrow! We do a color consultation with every single new color client to ensure proper timing and appointment is booked. Be prepared to wait 4-8 weeks for hair color when requesting an appointment. Book the first available online and then we will email you a consultation. Most first time clients should book 2.5-3 hours minimum, it’s safe to select “full balayage with blow-dry” or “full balayage with cut” for timing purposes before the email consult is sent.
What an email consultation looks like
- We ask for current hair pictures and color history, along with pictures and description of desired results.
- Have a few inspiration pictures to show us what you do like and don’t like.
- We work with you towards your goal, one appointment at a time, with the health of your hair being our number one priority.
- We do build a relationship with you and ask for patience during the processes.
- We are a good fit for someone looking for a hair stylist to trust and work towards your goal. We are not a good fit for you if you are looking for one appointment and magic to happen.
- Sometimes we say no. (Health of the hair is a priority, and sometimes cannot be processed.)
- Hair color is a chemical and must be treated with caution.
- We clarify and cleanse dirty hair before coloring it. We do need to know if you have hard water, take medication, or have used OTC dandruff shampoo
- Hair color is not predictable on previous colored hair, but we do our best to get you to a wearable color in-between your goal.
- Some goals do take 3 or more appointments.
- We are trained in the latest techniques and trends as well as knowledgable in the science and chemistry of hair color.
- A lot of first time color clients have previous colored hair and should note that we consider this a correction when changing from an old color to a new color.
- Color corrections take time, patience, and money. Not all corrections can be done in 1 sitting or day.
- Some corrections can take a year. Patience is key.
- When we make a plan, we ask you to be ok with one session at a time and not expect to have your desired goal after one appointment. Again, patience is key. AND Communication is key.
- Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised how beautiful hair color looks after one session. Not all “in-between” hair colors look bad!
- Plan on 2.5-3 hours for your first hair color visit, depending on stylist you are seeing.
- Balayage is not always right for you or your desired goal. Ask us what should be booked if you are unsure.
- Balayage looks different on every single person because it is working with your natural hair. Not everyone has the same natural hair color, texture, or porosity.
- Our balayage appointments include a gloss to customize a tone.
- You will receive a cool rinse after your hair color to close the cuticle and lock-in your hair color. A little chilly, but worth it!
- Hair color should not be washed, and should not have the use of alcohol based products or aerosol sprays for a minimum of 24 hours, 48 hours ideally.
- We will not use hairspray, alcohol based products, or products that are not pH balanced, these products range from 4.5-5.5, at your appointment and neither should you for the time stated above.
- We ask to trust us on the products that must be used at home to insure your hair color investment. Without use of specific products, you could be washing your investment down the drain.
- Trust your hair stylist to make the best decision for you and your hair health.
Other things to know
- Check out each of our stylists Instagram page to see if you have a preference on stylist. @jennyballantynehair @blondedbykay and our owner @kellyn.bowandarrow
- We book far in advance, so sometimes it is best to book 2-3 appointments at a time for higher maintenance color clients. (root touch-ups)
- Make sure you come to your appointment with clean hair.
Most importantly, We love color and can’t wait to make your color dreams come true!
If you are a hair client at Bow & Arrow, you know that my at-home maintenance suggestion is NEW WASH!
You also know that the entire line from Hairstory has completely changed not only my own hair, but I’d say at least 80% of my client’s hair. Every single person that made the switch is seeing the benefits and are raving about this product.
This whole line has blown me away since the first time I have used it in my own hair, about 2 years ago. But more importantly, it is changing all of our clients hair and scalp for the better. This innovative line created by Bumble & Bumble founder, Michael Gordon, is a new approach to your at-home haircare. LESS IS MORE.
It’s simple. If you don’t use detergent (shampoo), your hair will be better, happier, shinier, healthier, and effortless. In fact, I don’t really need products anymore. I mean, my whole life I have been product obsessed, so this is a whole new concept for me too. My hair is actually behaving without the need of any products. Seriously. Air-drying has never been better. And what is so cool is I only need one product now. No shampoo, conditioner, mask, clarifying shampoo, deep treatments, and no switching between products. This one product is it for me. Our backbar in the salon has dwindled, my shower isn’t stocked anymore. I am using less and seeing major results.
Another reason I love it so much is because I can use this on every single client. This product is made for every single hair type. No more “for fine hair” “for curly hair” “for color treated hair”… all those options are just confusing and not necessary.
New wash is made with essential oils. If you know me, you know I love essential oils and natural products. So, think of this as your natural alternative to shampoo and conditioner. Just say no to suds. Not only does detergent strip our hair from everything good, but it does quite a number on our scalps. Remember, if your scalp is not healthy, your hair will not be healthy either. It’s time to embrace your hair texture and let your hair be. What are you waiting for? Healthy hair rocks.
If you are a hairdresser, sign up for a complimentary bottle on me here:
If you are a client or just someone curious about it… email me your name and email and I will get you 25% off your first online order!! Totally worth trying.
Cheers to healthy hair!